Monday, January 20, 2014

Thierno


Happy Monday!! 

This has definitely been the longest lapse of time between posts. Life has been extra crazy the last 3 weeks--there is a good reason for that though. I'm hoping I'll be able to write a post in the next week or so and update you a bit on why. 

But for today, I wanted to share this story that the Marketing & Communications staff brought to us. This story is about a man named Thierno (pronounced: "chair-no") from Guinea. So he's actually a patient from last year but his story was just uploaded for us to read. I read it a few weeks ago and was so touched--his name is a Fula name, which is my tribe. He is from northern Guinea, which is Fula territory and where I grew up. So this hit very close to home for me. 

But I think it's more than that--his gratefulness for the work of Mercy Ships (and above all: God's grace!) is so evident. Read on and enjoy!--and know that YOU are no less a part of this because you are an ocean away. It takes all kinds to make this work: skillful hands, serving hearts, praying words, joyful givers, and a caring God.  

~~~~~

My name is Thierno. I am Guinean. There is a story I would like to tell you -- it is a story of a man, a football player. This man was young and strong and fit. He played for his hometown’s soccer team as a defender. Then he was struck with tragedy and had no means for healing. Each word that I write today is proof of a happy ending, but I will never forget the five years of unhappy beginning. This man was me . . . 
Thierno, during his football career in northern Guinea. 
The tumor began small on my face. As it grew, I began to feel more and more pain. Within a few months, my health began to decline to the point that I could no longer play football. My mother stopped everything to care for me. She took me to many doctors who were tradition healers, and we tried to find a treatment -- but nothing worked. My mother became exhaustd with worry for her only son. With each month, the tumor grew larger. The creases on her face grew deeper. From behind my deformity, I watched her lose all hope. Then Mercy Ships arrived and said they could help. 

Thierno waiting to be seen at Guinea's screening day in 2013.
The atmosphere onboard the Africa Mercy was friendly and loving -- the doctors and nurses took such good care of me. Each day, I was happy and comforted in my hospital bed. 

Thierno and his mother, Djenabou, before his surgery. 

I cannot say anything -- I do not have the words. I am speechless because I am grateful to God for the doctors that were so competent and able to remove something so dangerous. Because God brought them together, this operation was possible. I will never forget Mercy Ships, and I know that today I find myself in good health by the grace of God.

After surgery and getting some air on Deck 7. Any patients that are able to
spend an hour each day up on this deck to look out at the sea and get a change
of scenery. 
I am so pleased that the government negotiated the arrival of the ship. I am not the only Guinean who has been blessed by it. There have been many Guineans who were sick and have found their health because of Mercy Ships.



For my part, I do not know what to say, any word, to Mercy Ships. The humanitarian support that the ship carries for us is unimaginable and inexplicable. I wish I could thank all of the staff of the ship, every single person, especially Dr. Gary, who put all of his effort into my surgery.

A letter Thierno wrote: "I am speechless." 
Over the next few months, Thierno's swelling
will go down and his scars will become less visible. "I think
he'll be back on the soccer field," Dr. Gary Parker says. 
May God protect Mercy Ships and bless Guinea and all Guineans! Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment