Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry & Bright


I’ve said that this blog is strictly for pictures and stories and not “thoughts” since I am not nearly confident enough to post my thoughts--nor do I have enough to post! But I wanted to share something that impacted me personally.

One of our sessions of class in Texas was about God speaking to us. We did an exercise to open up our minds a bit to see how God reaches out in different ways. All around the classroom were pieces of paper taped to the wall and each paper had a different “communication method” on it, like dreams or specific scriptures, or songs, or words of encouragement from a friend, etc. There were probably about 20 different papers all over. Each of us had a bunch of stickers and then we put a sticker onto whatever papers reflected how God has spoken to us in the past. It was fun to look around at all the stickers to see just how much God does speak to us. It was a good reminder! 

But anyways, my point in all this is that I realized that God speaks most normally and clearly to me through lyrics. I absolutely love songs because it is then that I’m most often struck by His Incredible and Steadfast Love. {I’ve noticed that every time God’s Love is mentioned in His Word, “steadfast” always comes before “love”. Always.} One of my absolute favorites {and I tear up every.single.time that we sing it} is: 

Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
{and...here’s where I lose it}
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me. 
I realized that there is just something about a Savior in the form of a baby that makes my heart melt. I know that Easter is an important time that we think about Jesus’ sacrifice but I think the sacrifice is much more real to me at Christmas time. A helpless infant? To save me? 

I know that not everyone is a fan of Christmas carols so skip over the next few lines if that’s the case. But here’s just a few of the lyrics that jumped out at me this year: 

Let earth receive her King
Fields and floods, rocks hills and plains repeat the sounding joy
{He is Savior for me personally and for the ground itself! Even nature rejoices.} 

Mild he lays his glory by
Born that man no more may die
{Philippians 2:10--He did not consider equality with God something to be grasped.} 

Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod? 
When you kiss your little baby you kiss the face of God?
{Luke 2:35--Therefore the child to be born will be  called holy--the Son of God.}

One of my favorite parts of Christmas this year was the very end of our Christmas Eve service. We sang Silent Night in 7 different languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, and Norwegian. I love that singing a song or reading a verse in a different language allows you to pick up a little bit more of a different sentiment or meaning (I think I mentioned that in my post about our field service). I know this is a lot of reading but I’ve written out the translations for Silent Night in each of those languages. It’s beautiful to me that Christ came for every nation and people group and He loves the diversity we bring to worship him. I hope you enjoy! 

{Disclaimer: Google Translate did all these so if you speak any of the below languages fluently, please don’t laugh too hard if the translations are too word-for-word.} 

Silent Night! Holy night!
All is calm; wakes lonely
Just the faithful and holy pair high.
Lovely boy with curly hair,
Sleep in heavenly peace!
{German}
~
Night of Peace, Holy Night.
No noise in the barn.
In heaven everything rests in peace.
But suddenly in the pure and fresh air.
Shining angels
Appear to the shepherds.
{French}
~
Silent night, holy night, 
All are sleeping. 
Among its stars who spread their light 
Beauty announces the baby Jesus 
Sleep in peace 
Sleep in peace 
{Spanish}
~
Silent night, holy night,
David's son long-expected.
Those millions will once be blessed,
Born in Bethlehem's manger.
He, lord of creatures,
He, of creatures sir.
{Dutch}
~
Silent night, holy night!
Everything is peaceful. The star gently
shining on the child in the stable straw
and the watchful two.
Christ on Earth is come;
To us is born a savior.
{Swedish}
~
Silent Night, Holy Christmas!
Angels descend into hiding.
Into paradise green,
where they see what God is doing.
Secretly among us they go.
Secretly among us they go.
{Norwegian}

I hope you had a most wonderful, merry, holly jolly day. Merry Christmas from the AFM! 



No comments:

Post a Comment