Monday, April 25, 2016

Lighten Up

Hey everyone,

I need some encouragement for myself—encouragement to bridle my tongue. I am tired of my negative thoughts. I am tired of my demeaning words. I am tired of being somewhere where I feel that I am sliding down that slippery slope of slashing with my words and not having the guts to say enough

I was frustrated with a situation the other day. Really frustrated. It seemed to be the 1000th time it had come up and I didn’t take my thoughts captive and stop the downpour of aggravation. I thought of this community, where everyone is literally bumping up against each other. I thought of how we are all like little polka dots on a blank white sheet of paper. We think that our little dot isn’t going to affect anyone. But with each action or word, each of our polka dots gets a ring around it. And soon enough, all of those rings start bumping into each other. On that day, all of those rings felt like bumper cars knocking my neck out of joint. I can’t get away from [that person], it’s so easy to think. I know exactly how they will react. Nothing I say or do ever changes anything. We’re just going to keep bumping. And crashing. 

I even drew out a picture to help me flesh this out in my head (I process by working with my hands; crochet, color, play a mindless game, just something to keep my hands busy). And while I was drawing my picture, I used different colors for the polka dots (because I also like bright colors). And guess what? The final effect was actually quite pretty! It didn't look nearly as frustrating as my day felt. And then I thought—hey!

It’s OK to bump into each other. But let’s make each bump worthwhile and good. Let’s let each interaction be conducted with the goal of upholding the other person. Let's make that final picture bright and colorful, where the pleasant thing that happened to you lifts me up, even if doesn't affect me personally. Let's make a rainbow of colliding colors, not a hailstorm of dark and stormy clouds clashing. 

It all starts with not tearing each other down. This saying keeps getting thrown around in my head: “Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.” Katie Stull, do not knock anyone down until you have tried being in their shoes. 

I LOVE quotes. My office wall is covered with some of my favorites. I love searching for quotes on Pinterest, especially themed quotes. So, in an effort to host my own pep-rally, I present to you a whole bunch of quotes. Some I could think about for hours, some are just cute, and some have shot me through the heart. There's a lot but I think it's OK because I need to make up some good words. If only it were that easy.

I'd like to lighten up. I can't imagine it will have a bad effect on me; I've yet to read a study that says being positive will give you cancer. Will you join me?





















1 comment: